Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Revenge of the nerds...literally

So, second official day at BYU. And I actually survived, which is honestly a huge accomplishment.

My first day...kinda scary and overwhelming. Let's just say, I really realized how for real this was, and what an actual change it was, and combined on top of everything else piling up in my life, it was a rather negative experience. I won't lie. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say my first day of college was probably a 3.

My physics class was quite the hilarity to a rather distressing day. I mean, the class itself was actually part of the reason I was so stressed, but at the same time, the situation I was in was definitely making me laugh. While sitting in my little lecture chair (or whatever they're called...I would hardly classify them as desks) I looked around at the class full of students, and, no lie, I saw probably three boys looking around at the people in the classroom, wide-eyed. Now, I don't know what they were looking at, but they were definitely wide-eyed. I could only imagine what was going through their minds....maybe how many girls actually go to BYU and which ones they wanted to talk to or that they thought were cute. Who knows. With all of my preconceived notions of BYU, I was having fun imagining what was going through their minds...whether what I was thinking was correct or not.

Then my professor gets up and starts talking about why he likes physics and all that jazz. Now, this guy is nice, but honestly...he definitely seemed like one of the kinds of people that probably got stuffed in a locker or a garbage can during high school, and now he's getting back at society by having a ridiculous class that has a lot of extra work that probably wouldn't be necessary otherwise. For instance, an online quiz that we have to take before each lecture before 8:00 am that day. What?! Why! Honestly, just like my high school physics class...which, believe you me, was not a pleasant experience, what with the daily "bell quiz" and the "notes" as well as the assignment that we had to correct every single day. Ya...definitely not fun. So yippee.

Anyways...you're probably not finding the hilarity to the situation that I was. In all honesty, I was commentating on the entire class in my head. From the wide-eyed boys to the "Ya, I just need to get a room for it first...[referring to a study session room...but of course I took it in a different context...I hang out around boys too much]" There were actually a couple of times where I almost laughed out loud to a thought I had in my head, but I figured that that would make me look absolutely ridiculous, so I refrained.

We'll see how the rest of the week goes. If anything, the campus is absolutely beautiful, and despite all of the scary things about life right now (including cranberries which, according to Kristen Beal, are really scary) at least BYU's got that going for it. :)

1 comment:

Whitney Leigh said...

your physics class....
that one brought a lot of heartache.