Sunday, August 7, 2011

king james

I was reading in the Ensign yesterday about the King James Version of the Bible. It was comparing the King James Version with the New International Reader's Version of the Bible. It compared the same section from 1 Corinthians 13: where Paul talked about charity.

The King James Version is apparently known for its poetic nature, and after seeing the version of the Bible I'm so familiar with next to the New International Version, I was so grateful for the language.

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing”
1 Corinthians 13:1-3

So, thank you King James. Thank you Lancelot Andrewes, William Barlow, Edward Lively, John Duport, John Hardin, Thomas Ravis. Thanks for giving us syntax in scripture that resonates with the soul.


No comments: