Saturday, December 18, 2010

les livres

With Christmas break comes pleasure reading, and with pleasure reading comes the re-reading of one of my favorite books.

"Scout," said Atticus, "when summer comes you'll have to keep your head about far worse things...it's not fair for you and Jem, I know that, but sometimes we have to make the best of things, and the way we conduct ourselves when the chips are down--well, all I can say is, when you and Jem are grown, maybe you'll look back on this with some compassion and some feeling that I didn't let you down. This case, Tom Robinson's case, is something that goes to the essence of a man's conscience--Scout, I couldn't go to church and worship God if I didn't try to help that man."

Now I remember why I love Atticus.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Which book is this?