Monday, April 19, 2010

lovely laura

it was 5:30 a.m.
sometimes that early in the morning, you feel like you're the only one in the world who could possibly be awake. it's lonely, at times.

but laura was there. she had to study, too.
i was looking through the notes on my laptop about authoritarian parenting styles and ways to cultivate friendship in marriage wondering why on earth i took this class when i heard the back door open and close. laura left.

what on earth could laura possibly have to do outside? at 5:34 in the morning?

she came back in. i asked her that very question.
"oh," she said, "i was just dropping a note off to a girl in our ward [i won't mention names]. i just love her!"

i knew it.

being the oldest, i always wanted an older sister while growing up. of course, that would have been a physical anomaly on the part of my mother if i was given that wish.
instead, i was blessed with sisters like laura. a sister who, although we aren't related by blood, continues to give me the love she would give her own family and continues to set an example of christ-like charity to me.

she's the reason i've learned to care.

so here's to you, lovely laura. you never cease to amaze me, and you never cease to amaze others.

te amo.

laura doing what laura does best.
loving.

1 comment:

Whitney Leigh said...

awww. That's so sweet. I think I remember her...