Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"Protrude the buttocks! Protrude the buttocks!"

Close your eyes and imagine having an Anthropology 101 professor saying that with his semi-fake, drawly-vowel-ed English accent (really, it's not an English accent...that guy is 100% All-American [I think]). It's pretty hilarious to imagine, actually. It was even better hearing it and witnessing it in person.

In my biology class, we've been learning about diseases, which I've always found relatively fascinating. Kinda weird that I do, since the idea of an epidemic of any kind of disease scares the shiz out of me, but sometimes we're drawn to what scares us. I read this really interesting article about avian flu and what needs to happen in order for that to become a pandemic (what's the difference between pandemic and epidemic...remind me to look that up). After reading it, the initial fascination wore off, and then I almost took an oath to never eat chicken or meat or anything ever again, because I started getting so paranoid that I would get avian flu. (Don't worry, that freak out lasted for approximately 30 seconds, considering my diet right now basically only consists of chicken, and it's about the only thing I have to eat).

All this discussion of diseases brings me back to my tenth grade biology class, with this really creepy biology teacher that didn't know diddly squat (really, I could have written all my papers about the art of ventriloquism and he would have given me an A). One day a little before Christmas, he popped in a little movie called Outbreak, which was basically a fictional movie about the nation having an outbreak (hence the name) of the ebola virus. The ebola virus, for all intents and purposes, liquifies your insides and then hemmorhages those liquified insides out of every bodily oriface.

Holy. Crap.

Never again will I look at monkeys (or like them, for that matter) the same way.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally remember that movie! Did you guys watch Gattaca, too? Hey, so how's the new semester treating you? And I'm a fan of the monkey picture... :)

Kayleigh said...

Hullo my Darin! Ya. We watched Gattaca. Honestly, we watched some pretty cool movies in this class, but Outbreak was terrifying. The semester's going pretty well...I can't complain (and there's no physics!! YAY!!). Hows about you?

Kristina P. said...

I always loved Michael Crichton for this same reason. Fascinating!

Stefanie Bell said...

the second you started talking about diseases, I knew you were going to throw the ebola virus in there. i vote we watch that movie this weekend.

and thank you for updating your blog, i was dying.

Whitney Leigh said...

hahahahahahah i figured out how to get back in. booyah. and yes, let us watch it.

Jules AF said...

I'm sorry, wtf is protrude the buttocks from/for/everything?

Kayleigh said...

Ya. It was a little unclear. I just thought it sounded funny. My psycho anthropology teacher was saying it over and over again to prove a point about a culture that finds rear ends to be attractive. Sorry.

Jeff and Sarah said...

Some of us would like to "intrude the buttocks"!!

Hey if you want a mystery novel to read based on anthropology try reading some of Kathy Reichs early novels. "Deja Dead" etc. A little gory sometimes but a great read.

Whitney Leigh said...

But remember how Ebola really broke out?? How do you think 2009 Kayleigh would have handled the news that in roughly five years Ebola would be present in the United States??

We probably would have made our own fallout shelter or something. ahhaha