Sunday, December 27, 2009

I Heart Poems

I'm a big poetry fan, which I don't know if I've conveyed on my blog or not, but there it is. I. Love. Poetry. I spent a couple months during the semester in two classes that taught me more about poetry and helped me appreciate something that I already loved. One of my favorites is Robert Frost. I attribute this to the fact that "The Road Not Taken" was the first legitimate poem I ever memorized back in elementary school, and he kind of stuck with me.

I bought a book of his poetry last year on my 19th birthday, and I was reading it the other day and found this gem. I'm not sure why it hit me so hard, but I loved it. To me, it was so sincere and kind of an innocent portrayal of love, just by adding those three words at the end of each stanza. You may get something else out of it, because poetry is kind of up to reader interpretation (one reason why I love it), but here it is. :)

The Pasture

I'm going out to clean the pasture spring;

I'll only stop to rake the leaves away
(And wait to watch the water clear, I may):
I sha'n't be gone long. -- You come too.

I'm going out to fetch the little calf
That's standing by the mother. It's so young,
It totters when she licks it with her tongue.
I sha'n't be gone long. -- You come too.