Monday, March 9, 2009

Love of Handwritten Letters

I've always thought that as we move into a more technological society, the appreciation for handwritten letters has gone completely downhill. Don't get me wrong, I love email. It certainly makes my life a lot easier, but has it also made us forget about how great it is to get a letter in the mail? I remember I used to get letters from my granddad in England, and I really liked those. My granddad has a way of making fun of my American ways that makes me laugh hysterically despite the fact that he is indeed making fun of me, and I think that translated in his letters to me even when I was pretty young.

Whenever I get a handwritten letter in the mail (especially nowadays) I'm pretty much ecstatic. I think the people that watch me walk back to my apartment from my mailbox think I'm certifiably insane because I'm probably muttering to myself with a huge smile on my face, and I am almost positive I've skipped back to my apartment on occasions. Letters are the greatest things ever.

And the handwritten part of it is awesome, too, because when you read that specific handwriting, it almost becomes like their voice. You can almost hear whoever it is speaking. My granddad, for instance, had really clear handwriting, but it just seemed English to me, almost as though his accent came through and I could hear him. Or my friend Casey who's on a mission right now....I got a letter from him last Friday and I could hear how he would be saying those things in my head and I could see what his face would have looked like while he was saying those things. That's what you can get in a handwritten letter that you just miss out on in emails.

So, here's my post, in the hopes that today I'll get the letter that I've been waiting for for about a month now.

5 comments:

Jules AF said...

I have too bad of handwriting to send out handwritten letters.

Kristina P. said...

I totally agree with you!!

Jeff and Sarah said...

I agree. When I first emmigrated here there was no such thing as email and calling home cost $1.28 a minute. The only way to keep in contact was the letters. I would be on top of the world when one came.

Ashley said...

I love this post! My dad sends me letters or cards to me at college, and it just makes my day. Receiving a letter in the mail is one of the simple pleasures of life for sure!

Whitney Leigh said...

Remember the love letter we wrote to Alex Price that we sealed with sealing wax? that was the best. I was just telling Landon about that the other day. hahaha